Create with ME entry: Moonlight Message

Moonlight Message

It was the middle of the night, yet I couldn’t sleep. I'd been awoken to a pulsating small light.
At first notice, I quickly sat up and grabbed my dagger from under the pillow, only to set it down on the nightstand as I realised what this light was. It was a holographic button buzzing in front of me.

“A notification.” I thought.

Weakly and with little hesitation, I reached up pressing the glowing icon suspended before me.
A small light enveloped the button, lighting up the room and dancing on the blades set down by the end of the beds, awaiting use. Once the light subsided, a little diamond shaped device fell from where the button had been. I caught it in my hands, looking closer.

“A message?” I wondered.

I stood up from the bed, barely enough energy to keep me stable, and made my way through the thick darkness of the room to the seat by the window. It was colder, but the little amount of light offered would help to see the message. I sat at the small table, under the window and placed the object down.
It emitted a small whirring noise, like a watch, before it stood up and hovered, just a centimeter above the table. A much smaller button appeared on the device, urging me to press it. I tapped the new smaller icon, causing the diamond to split open at its centre and begin... speaking?

“Hey bud. We hope this gets to you before Christmas Day, neither of us have ever had to use one of these before.” The voice said, chuckling at the end.

I recognised that voice.

“A… Adam?” I asked, almost expecting a reply.

“We’ll figure it out! I’m smart so we’ll be fine.” Came a more feminine voice. That smug know-it-all tone could have only been Charlotte's.

My hands clenched into fists as I choked back the urge to cry out.

“Right. Anyway we wanna wish you a merry Christmas dude. It’s been a crazy few months, but we’re glad we got through it.” Adams prerecorded voice continued.

“And a happy New Year if it turns out we did this wrong!” Charlotte chimed in.

Tears welled in my eyes.

“We have that recorded, proof she doesn’t know everything!” Adam teased.

“Oh shut it, you dumb…” Charlotte began, but the message cut out.

“No…” I said, to nothing. I didn’t want them gone so quickly.

My hands started to shake as I choked down even more tears.

The shaking spread up to my arms, enveloping me, every cell in my body just wishing to cry.
The diamond shut and floated down, setting itself on the table in front of me. My head fell next to it, my hands reaching up and resting in my hair as I sobbed into the cold wooden surface. The moon finally came out from behind the clouds, illuminating the room. Behind me sat three beds.

Only one was occupied.
Harry Cheetham

No comments:

Post a Comment