Create with ME entry:Alyssa and the Fire

Alyssa and the Fire

Chapter 1

My eyes blur from focus; my mind overwhelmed. my heart beating out my chest; taking in the scenery around me. There's a certain aura about fires that entices me; dancing like angry ballerinas. flickering ashes that burn from the wood, the warmth that it brings against the cold, dark air. The trees sway in the wind; Am I dreaming? I hear dogs barking in the distance, the cars humming by on the roadside. Sirens in the background drawing nearer. A gathering of people, talking amongst themselves, some shouting.
"Alyssa?" I hear somebody's voice say my name, I feel someone's presence behind me, followed by a touch on my shoulder. My mind snaps back to reality, I peer at my shoulder, someone I don't know, in police uniform. "Y-yes?" I managed to croak out, trying to gulp away the knot in my throat. "We believe that you were the person who called us about the fire? Can you take a minute to answer some questions for us?" he asks, now accompanied by his fellow woman police officer companion. "I...I...just got here" I blurted out, hoping that they would leave. "We had reports to believe that you've been at the property before the fire, we need to ask you what you were doing at the house" the policeman continued as the woman drew out a notepad and pen.
My mind began to doze, a quick image came to mind; blood, seeping down the walls in a small room and a woman's scream. Snapping me back to reality. I grabbed my head with both hands "make it stop!" I begged; my voice panicking, feeling tears drip from my watering eyes. Closing my eyes tightly as possible; trying to escape. By this time, I didn't hear any peoples voices, I didn't hear the dogs bark either. I sniffled, wiping my tears away, I looked over my shoulder again. Everyone stopped helping with the fire, and this time. They were looking at me, with no expression on their faces, everything was still, the fire still flickering and dancing in the dark, lighting up the street and sky amongst the smoke and stars.
I felt the police officers touch again, but this time they were pulling me up forcefully. "You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence when in question, something you may rely on in court" the policeman sternly stated before putting me into the police vehicle.
Days merged into weeks, my lack of comments, lack of movements, refusing to eat. Many psychological tests were done and the authorities were worried about my mental health. They want answers to the fire. And I was trying my best to block them out. The blood on the walls and the scream still haunts my dreams, I wake up sweating, chills and tears still fall down my face. Court date is approaching; they are trying to charge me with first-degree murder. But they don't know what I know.
Emma Manley

No comments:

Post a Comment